Saturday, September 19, 2009

Reina Sofia



Today, I woke up and decided to head to El Museo Reina Sofia, the modern art museum in Madrid. It was a convenient time to go, because it is free on on Saturdays from 2:30 on. I didn't know exactly what to expect, since it was a modern art museum. I got a few typical things that were a stretch to call art; eggshells sitting on a stool and three flourescent lights that were turned on are some examples. However, one I got to modernist paintings, I fell in love with the museum. Picasso's paintings are AMAZING, specifically La Guernica. I had seen plenty of reproductions of it, but I never realized how big it really was. It was about 12 feet wide, which I didn't expect, and there was quite a bit of documentation of the process that Picasso took, and it was interest to see what his first sketches included that he changed for the finished product. Picasso's commentary of the Spanish Civil War paved the way for the rest of the exhibit on that floor, which included a great deal of war propaganda and other images of soldiers and civilians during the war. I was also able to see paintings from other famous artists, such as Dali and Murillo. I didn't get a chance to see the entirity of the museum, but I know I will be heading back for another visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment