Friday, September 4, 2009

La Primera Dia de Clases



Yesterday was the first day of classes at SLU. My Tuesdays and Thursdays present me with ridiculously long days, but I have nice breaks that give me good opportunities to explore the surrounding area. I arrived at my first class five minutes late after being unable to find my classroom and then walking into the wrong class once I found the hall that was mine. Once I finally arrived at class, I sat down and was a little overwhelmed, but not by the teacher or amount of work. My Spanish classes are about two thirds native Spanish speakers or grad students who are fluent. I have no idea what the two classes are going to look like, but hopefully I'll get a little grace for being a visiting student! My history class seems to be pretty interesting. It will be a lot of work towards the end of semseter, but the prof seems to know what he's talking about.


I had about a two hour break between my history class and my second Spanish class, so I went walking around the area around school to explore and take some pictures. There is a lot of really cool graffiti that is all over the area that I took some pictures of. The time walking around was really relaxing and a great way to get away from school and just let loose. I'm sure it's going to be one of my favorite times of the school week.


I then came home and then went to the city center, Sol, after eating dinner. Right after getting off the metro, I could tell I was in downtown Madrid. I really enjoyed seeing true Spanish culture in action. I really want to go back, take some pictures, and experience more of what Spain has to offer. A late dinner downtown until 12:30 or 1:00 seems very intriguing. I liked the idea of just sitting in a plaza, getting some tapas with some friends, and people watching. I'm definitely going to have to go back!


Today, the school is having a BBQ and an activities fair in the afteroon. After that, I think I'm going to head over with my roommate to get tickets to a bullfight that's Sunday and do some more exploring downtown. Tonight, the school is having a tapas night, where they get groups together to go to local tapas bars. It should be a pretty fun time to just get together and meet new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment